If you suffer from neck pain, Dr. Zwade Marshall can provide treatments to reduce and eliminate pain and help you regain a healthy, comfortable lifestyle. The neck is the most flexible part of the spine, and it works to support and assist in movement of the head. Neck pain typically occurs due to injury or during the natural process of aging. It is most common in the soft tissues of the neck, such as the muscles, ligaments and nerves, and in the cervical spine. Some common causes of neck pain include:
- Incorrect body posture
- Disease affecting the spine
- Inherited abnormalities of the cervical spine
- Infection or tumor of the spine
- Spondylosis (degeneration of the intervertebral discs)
- Cervical spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal in the neck)
Common symptoms of neck pain include:
- Pain which varies in intensity
- Stiffness in the neck
- The affected area is tender to the touch
- Numbness, tingling or weakness in the arm and hand
- Gait and balance disturbances
- Jaw pain
- Ringing in the ears
- Loss of bowel and bladder function
Our physician will complete a physical and neurological examination, take X-rays and scans and review your individual and family medical history in order to make a diagnosis and create a treatment plan. Both surgical and non-surgical treatment options are available.
Non-surgical treatment options include activity modification, pain medications, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, muscle relaxants, physical therapy and spinal injections. In some cases, a neck collar or chiropractic treatment may also be recommended.
Surgical procedures for neck pain are rare, and they are only considered if pain and symptoms fail to improve after non-surgical therapy.
For more information about neck pain in Fayetteville, Georgia, and to schedule a consultation with our physician, please call Regenerative Spine and Pain Specialists at 404-618-0995.